Wednesday, August 10, 2011

PT. 2: BABIES, BEES AND BUG SHELLS

My family is gigantic. So gigantic, in fact, that I have absolutely no clue how many of us there are (I could count but I'm lazy). Growing up, my sisters and I were the oldest cousins and there were always babies around. Even now a family outing includes babies like my niece, Miranda!


Anyway, to continue with the bee story line... after we harvested all of the honey it was time to put the frames back into the hive. I would have loved to have the courage to do this but knowing me I would have gotten stung out of pure squeamishness. My aunt Meg and cousin John were the lucky ones to don the attractive bee suits. John opted for the gloves while Meg went bare handed; she is brave!


We also had some clowns trying on a bee hat.


Aunt Agnes and Mom

Before heading over to the hives a magical smoke machine was made! Smoke calms the bees down so they don't get wacky and sting you. Obviously, I don't remember the real name of this contraption but magical smoke machine works.


While we watched Meg and John work with the hives the spectators tried to stay out of the "flight path" of bees. They don't like when you get in their way flying to and from the hive. While I watched I got a bee on my neck and in my armpit - both times I did a little mini-freak out - but didn't get stung. If I did all the fun of bees would have been over for me.



John carefully smoked himself for protection while Meg gets crazy pulling bee frames out with no gloves!



See the bees flying around his pants?

And let's not forget that my mother held a bee; doesn't she look so pleased with her bravery?
(shh, it didn't have a stinger)


At the end of the day, we had a chilled out barbeque to offset the sugar highs from eating honey. While everyone ate I thought I'd be super-cool and play with locust shells. I remember growing up and chasing people with these things or putting them on clothing like broaches (which is exactly what I did).


Happy beekeeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment